Before you deploy SyncTool, VMware Dynamic Environment Manager must be installed and running on the designated client machines.
Note: When using SyncTool, the configuration for VMware Dynamic Environment Manager must not be modified. VMware Dynamic Environment Manager configuration settings for configuration files, profile archives, profile archive backups, and the FlexEngine log file must still use network paths.
- Install SyncTool on designated client machines, in the same installation directory as VMware Dynamic Environment Manager. See Installing SyncTool.
- Create SyncTool Group Policy configuration by using the provided Administrative Template. See Create the SyncTool Group Policy Object and SyncTool Group Policy Reference. You can create a Group Policy Object (GPO) for the SyncTool settings, or add them to your existing VMware Dynamic Environment Manager GPO.
- Add SyncTool logoff command as described in Run SyncTool at Logoff.
- Configure a logon script, which starts FlexEngine with the -OfflineImport argument. For details, see Installing and Configuring VMware Dynamic Environment Manager.
- (Optional) Configure SyncTool to run in resident mode during sessions as described in Starting SyncTool in Resident Mode.
To run SyncTool, the minimal required configuration is as follows:
- Configure Local Sync Path Group Policy setting.
- Enable Run VMware DEM SyncTool during logon Group Policy setting.
- Add SyncTool logoff command.
- Configure logon script to perform offline import.
- Apply SyncTool GPO to users.
Note: Applying the SyncTool Group Policy settings to users who work on computers that do not have SyncTool installed does not affect the work of these machines. The SyncTool Group Policy settings do not affect the behavior of VMware Dynamic Environment Manager on computers where SyncTool is not installed.