For your Mac to be able to connect to your physical PC and start the migration, you must install the Fusion PC Migration Agent on your PC.
If your Windows PC does not have a password, you must create a password before beginning the migration process. You can go to User Accounts in the Control Panel to create a password.
You must perform the migration on an Administrator account.
- Set the power options on your Windows physical PC so that your monitor and hard disks do not turn off automatically and your system does not go to standby.
- In the Control Panel, click Power Options.
- On the Power Schemes panel, set Turn off monitor, Turn off hard drives, and System standby to Never.
- (Optional) : If you migrate over a wireless connection, set your physical PC's screen saver to wait longer than the migration will take.
- Right-click on the PC desktop and select Properties.
- Select the Screen Saver tab, set Wait to 9999, and click OK.
- Download VMware Fusion PC Migration Agent from the Fusion product downloads page under Drivers and Tools.
- Run the installer file.
- Click Next on the installation wizard's welcome page, click I accept the terms of the License Agreement on the license agreement page, and click Next.
- Select the folder in which you want to save the PC Migration Agent, and click Next.
- Click Install.
- Click Finish.
- Restart your PC.
The VMware Fusion PC Migration Agent window appears on your PC, displaying the four-digit passcode needed for opening communications between your Mac and this PC.
The passcode is good only when the window is open. If you close the window and restart the Agent, or if you restart the PC, a new passcode replaces the old one.
What to do next
Leave the PC Migration Agent running so that the Migration Assistant on your Mac can communicate with it. See Run the Migration Assistant on Your Mac.