You can create a virtual machine on a remote server, but certain requirements must be met for the server.
- You have login credentials for the server where you want to create the virtual machine.
- The server is defined in the Virtual Machine Library.
- Sufficient space exists on the server to accommodate the virtual machine.
- The remote server is running VMware Workstation Pro, VMware ESXi or VMware vCenter Server.
- Confirm that the firmware type with which you plan to configure the virtual machine is supported by the guest operating system. See Configure a Firmware Type.
Important: Fusion does not include operating systems to install in virtual machines that you create. You must obtain the operating system and any necessary product keys.
. A dialog box appears with the Select the Installation Method panel showing.
- Click Create a virtual machine on a remote server.
- Click Continue.
- Select the server from the list in the Choose a Server window, and click Continue.
- (Optional) If the server supports folders, select a folder location for the virtual machine and click Continue.
- Select the host and datastore from the Choose a Host and Datastore window, and click Continue.
- Select a hardware version from the Choose a Hardware Version drop-down menu, and click Continue.
- Select a network option for the virtual machine.
Option Description Custom To configure a network connection for the virtual machine, use the Custom drop-down menu to select a network option. Do not use a network connection To create the virtual machine without a network connection, select the Do not use a network connection option.
- Select the guest operating system for the virtual machine and click Continue.
- Select the firmware type and click Continue.
- Configure the virtual disk by creating a virtual disk or use an existing virtual disk. If you create a virtual disk, use the disk size slider to specify the size of the virtual disk and specify the bus type. Click Continue.
The Finish window appears.
- (Optional) Change the name of the new remote virtual machine.
- Click Finish.
The new remote virtual machine appears in Virtual Machine Library under the remote server.