The Migration Assistant connects to your physical PC and performs the conversions and transfers of files necessary to create the virtual machine on your Mac.
Unless you specify a file location for a virtual machine when you use the Migration Assistant to migrate the virtual machine, Fusion saves the virtual machine package to a default location, which can vary. See Default File Location of a Virtual Machine.
- Your Mac and PC must be on the same network and remain powered on during the migration. Although you can migrate your PC over a wireless network, the process is significantly faster if you connect your Mac and PC with a network cable.
- The PC Migration Agent must be running on your PC and displaying a four-digit passcode.
. The Migration Assistant appears.
- Click Continue.
The Connect to Your PC panel appears.
- Type the four-digit passcode displayed by the PC Migration Agent on the PC and click Continue.
- Type your user name and password for the PC, and click Continue.
- Indicate the location to save the virtual machine to on your Mac or accept the default, such as the
your home directory/Virtual Machinesfolder.
You can change the location by clicking Choose and using the Finder..
- Click Continue to start the migration.
The assistant displays a progress bar and an estimate of time remaining.
- Click Finish.
Your PC is replicated in a virtual machine accessible from the Virtual Machine Library.
What to do next
Ensure that VMware Tools is installed on the virtual machine.