When you create a Microsoft Windows virtual machine, you can use the Fusion Windows Easy Install feature to install the Windows operating system you supply and to install VMware Tools in your virtual machine.
Unless you specify a file location for a virtual machine when you create it, Fusion saves the virtual machine package to a default location, which can vary. See Default File Location of a Virtual Machine.
. A dialog box appears with the Select the Installation Method panel showing.
- Click Continue.
- Click Use another disc or disc image, browse for the .iso file for the operating system, and click Open to identify the file.
- Select the file from the list in the Create a New Virtual Machine window, and click Continue.
- In the Microsoft Windows Easy Install dialog box, select the Use Easy Install option, provide the appropriate information, and click Continue.
- Display Name or Account Name
For Windows XP and earlier, the entry in the Display Name field appears in Info windows as the name your Windows software is registered to. It is not the Windows user name.
- Password (optional)
The entry in the Password field is the password for the Windows administrator account only.
- Windows Product key
Fusion does not provide the product key. The product key is included in the materials from the Windows operating system vendor.
- Display Name or Account Name
- In the Integration panel, indicate how basic file sharing is handled in the new virtual machine.
Option Description More Seamless Fusion shares the documents and applications on your Mac with Windows. Files on your Mac that Windows supports open in Windows. Windows can modify your Mac’s documents, so install and regularly update Windows antivirus software. More Isolated Fusion does not share the documents and applications on your Mac with Windows. To copy files between your Mac and Windows, use drag and drop.You can change these settings after the virtual machine is created by selecting.
- In the Finish panel, you can use default settings or customize the settings before powering on the virtual machine to start the operating system installation.
Option Action To create the virtual machine according to the specifications listed in the Finish panel
- Click Finish.
- Indicate the location to save the virtual machine to or accept the default, such as the
your home directory/Virtual Machinesfolder.
- (Optional) To share the virtual machine with other users on the Mac host, save the virtual machine to the Shared folder and select the Share this virtual machine with other users on this Mac check box. Deselect the check box to save to the Shared folder but not share the virtual machine with other users on the Mac host. See Creating a Shared Virtual Machine in Fusion.
To change disk size or other standard settings of the virtual machine
- Click Customize Settings.
- Save the new virtual machine.
- Make changes to the virtual machine’s disk size, processor usage, removable devices, and other configurations on the Settings window.
Fusion starts the new virtual machine, installs the operating system, and installs VMware Tools.