When you create a Linux virtual machine, you can use the Fusion Linux Easy Install feature to install the Linux operating system you provide and to install VMware Tools in your virtual machine.
You must obtain the operating system installation image. Fusion does not include any operating systems to install in virtual machines that you create.
The Create a New Virtual Machine Assistant starts.
- Click Continue without disc to go to the Installation Media panel.
- In the Installation Media panel, click Use operating system installation disc or image.
- Use the pop-down menu to browse for the .iso file for the operating system.
- In the Operating System panel, ensure that the operating system and version for the new virtual machine are correct, or select the correct operating system and version from the pop-down menus.
- Click Continue.
- In the Linux Easy Install panel, select Use Easy Install.
- Enter your Display Name, Account Name, and Password.
- Select Make your home folder accessible to the virtual machine to have Linux Easy Install configure your home folder as a shared folder, so you can share files between the virtual machine and your Mac.
- If you selected to make your home folder accessible, select either Read only or Read & Write for your virtual machine.
- In the Finish panel, you can use default settings to finish the virtual machine creation, or you can customize the settings before the creation is finished.
To create the virtual machine according to the specifications listed in the Finish panel
Indicate the folder in which to save the virtual machine. The default is your user/Documents/Virtual Machines folder.
To share the virtual machine with other users on the Mac host, save the virtual machine to the Shared folder and select the Share this virtual machine with other users on this Mac check box. Deselect the check box to save to the Shared folder but not share the virtual machine with other users on the Mac host. See Creating a Shared Virtual Machine in Fusion.
To change disk size or other standard settings of the virtual machine
Click Customize Settings.
Save the new virtual machine.
Make changes to the virtual machine’s disk size, processor usage, removable devices, and other configurations on the Settings window.
Fusion starts the new virtual machine, installs the operating system, and installs VMware Tools.