The HCX appliance supports extending networks from VMware vSphere Distributed Switch and NSX overlay networks.
The following information and requirements apply when extending networks:
Requirements in deployments using NSX for vSphere at the destination:
Use a Distributed Logical Router (DLR) or Edge Services Gateway (ESG) to connect the extended network.
If a single Edge Services Gateway is used for more than 8 networks, use a trunk interface.
Requirements in deployments using the NSX-T Data Center at the destination:
HCX connects to Tier-1 Gateways and Segments created in the Networking tab (simplified UI). NSX configurations created in the Advanced Networking & Security tab cannot be used with HCX Network Extension and Migration operations.
- Additional network extension appliances may be required when extending more than 8 networks.
- Requirements when extending Virtual Distributed Switch networks:
- vSphere Distributed Switch Version 5.1.0 or higher is required.
- Requirements for extending NSX-T networks in source environments:
Note: Registering NSX-T in an HCX Connector is optional, except when extending NSX networks or migrating NSX Security Tags. If NSX-T is registered, the following requirements apply:
- The NSX-T Manager must be registered during the HCX Manager deployment.
- The NSX-T Manager must be Version 2.4 or higher.
- NSX-T Overlay or VLAN Transport Zones must be configured in the vCenter Server where the network originates.
- The ESX hosts where the NSX-T segment originates must be configured as NSX-T transport nodes.
- NSX-T Overlay and NSX-T VLAN networks can be extended.
- NSX-T Overlay or VLAN Transport Zones must be configured in the destination vCenter Server or SDDC.
- HCX will always create or connect to an existing NSX-T Overlay network during the network extension operation.
- Requirements when extending NSX for vSphere Logical Switches:
- The NSX-V Manager must be registered during the HCX Manager deployment.
- The NSX-V Manager must be Version 6.4.8 or higher.
- Requirements when extending vSphere Standard Switch networks:
- Not supported.
- Never extend the networks used to create the network profiles.
- Never use HCX to extend the vSphere Management network or other VMkernel networks (for example: vMotion, vSAN, replication) to the remote site.