Working together with NSX Migration Coordinator for V2T Migration, the Workload Migration for NSX V2T service supports the lift-and-shift of virtual machine workloads from an NSX for vSphere environments to more flexible and feature rich NSX environments.
Workload Migration for NSX V2T combines the wave orchestration and operational capabilities of HCX with the performance and the concurrency characteristics of HCX Assisted vMotion to expedite virtual machine migration. Workload Migration for NSX V2T supports the lift and shift of NSX for vSphere workloads to NSX within a single vSphere vCenter.
HCX Integration with NSX Migration Coordinator for V2T Migration
HCX Workload Migration for NSX V2T leverages bridging created by NSX Migration Coordinator for virtual machine connectivity on the logical segment during the transition from NSX for vSphere.
Single vCenter Operation
The Workload Migration for NSX V2T service is designed for use within a single vSphere vCenter (VC) Server. In this case, both the HCX Connector and theHCX Cloud Manager are deployed to different clusters within the same vCenter. The overall deployment process for HCX is the same, except that when activating HCX Cloud Manager, you register HCX with NSX. When activating HCX Connector, you register HCX with NSX for vSphere.
How it works
The Workload Migration for NSX V2T service workflow has three general phases: pre-migration workload configuration, HCX migration, and post migration clean-up. NSX Migration Coordinator for V2T Migration handles the pre-migration and the post-migration operations, which are outside the scope of this document. For information regarding the NSX Migration Coordinator configuration, refer to the section "End-to-end Workflow of Configuration and Edge Migration," in Configuration and Edge Migration Workflow.
You initiate the Workload Migration for NSX V2T service from the HCX migration interface by selecting V2T-Migration at the group level.
The Workload Migration for NSX V2T service has the following high-level workflow:
- Complete the pre-migration configuration steps using NSX Migration Coordinator for V2T Migration.
- In the HCX migration interface, create Mobility Groups for the selected workloads.
- Select the V2T-Migration check box for the Mobility Groups and configure available Transfer, placement, and extended options.
- Validate the configuration. At this point, Workload Migration for NSX V2T makes API calls to Migration Coordinator to identify the source and target network mapping and identify the incoming groups of VMs.
- Start the migration.
- HCX begins consuming the pre-configuration migration settings for the VMs and begins migrating VMs.
- HCX makes post migration API calls to the NSX Migration Coordinator to perform the post-migration clean-up.
If the NSX Migration Coordinator fails or restarts prior to completing post migration operations, then you must manually run the post-migrate NSX Migration Coordinator API call using the group ID from the HCX Migration Management dashboard. See VMware KB article.
Requirements and Limitations
- NSX for vSphere and NSX environments must be explicitly joined using NSX bridging before migrating workloads. HCX Network Extensions cannot be used between NSX for vSphere with NSX environments. Bridge set up is through the NSX Migration Coordinator.
- NSX for vSphere and NSX environments must be accessible to HCX Managers.
- A dedicated vSphere vMotion data path must be set up between the source and the target ESXi hosts.
- Any changes to the source environment after the NSX V2T migration can affect HCX Workload Migration for NSX V2T.
- The Distributed Virtual Switch version at the source and the destination sites must be the same.
- Workload Migration for NSX V2T works in one direction. Reverse migration is not possible using Workload Migration for NSX V2T.
Note: After Workload Migration for NSX V2T has completed, you can use Bulk migration to move the VMs back to the source site. For reverse migration using Bulk in single vCenter environments, you must specify a different folder name as the Destination Folder.
- Standard switches at the source and target clusters must have matching security policies and the teaming and failover policies.
Workload Migration for NSX V2T does not support:
- HCX WAN Optimization.
- HCX Network Extension in a single vCenter.
- Adding VMs to an HCX Mobility Group after initiation of Workload Migration for NSX V2T.
- Adding, deleting, or editing a network from a VM after the initiation of Workload Migration for NSX V2T.
- Retry of failed or canceled Workload Migration for NSX V2T using the Edit Mobility Group wizard is not supported. A new mobility group must be created for these VMs.
- Migration of suspended VMs.
- Migration from HCX vCenter plug-in. Use the HCX standalone UI to trigger Workload Migration for NSX V2T.
- Encrypted VMs.