The HCX update is applied to the HCX Manager systems first.
It is a best practice to back up the HCX Manager prior to upgrading. See Backing Up and Restoring the System. This back up option may not be available in some Public Clouds where HCX is managed by the cloud service provider.
Verify the HCX Manager system reports healthy connections to the connected (vCenter Server, NSX Manager (if applicable), vCloud Director/RMQ (if applicable).
Verify the HCX Manager system reports healthy connections to the HCX Interconnect service components.
Verify that Site Pair configurations are healthy.
- Open the HCX Manager Service UI.
You can update site-paired HCX Managers simultaneously.
- Navigate to the Administration tab.
- Navigate to the System Updates section.
- In the Local HCX section, under Available Service Update Versions, click Check for Updates.
In normal operation, the HCX automatically receives the latest service update. But if the HCX is offline or unable to access the Internet when a service update is pushed out, the HCX can miss the update. This selection checks for the latest version and adds it to your available service updates.
- Right-click the available version link and select one of the operations from the drop-down menu.
If Service Updates have not been installed for more than one release, older updates are displayed. The newest updates are shown on top.
The upgrade file is downloaded, but not installed.
The file previously downloaded is used during the upgrade. If there is no file available, the option is dimmed.
Download & Upgrade.
The upgrade file is downloaded. The upgrade begins immediately after the download completes.
View the Release Notes.
- To begin the selected process, click OK.
The system reports that the upgrade is underway. After the upgrade file is downloaded and installed. The HCX system reboots. Allow a few minutes for the system to reinitialize.
- Open the HCX Appliance management interface in a browser tab.
This option may not be available in HCX enabled Public Clouds.
- Navigate to the dashboard and verify the registered systems display a healthy connected state.
- Open the System Updates interface and confirm the Current Version is updated.
With the HCX Managers upgraded, the HCX Service Mesh reflects that an update is available.
The HCX Managers will apply the updates, reboot, and become operational in less than five minutes after rebooting. If the HCX Manager does not return to service within that time frame, contact VMware Support.