To use an existing View Composer database, you must migrate the RSA key container from the source physical or virtual machine on which the existing VMware Horizon View Composer service resides to the machine on which you want to install the new VMware Horizon View Composer service.
About this task
You must perform this procedure before you install the new VMware Horizon View Composer service.
Verify that the Microsoft .NET Framework and the ASP.NET IIS registration tool are installed on the source and destination machines. See Prepare a Microsoft .NET Framework for Migrating RSA Keys.
- On the source machine on which the existing VMware Horizon View Composer service resides, open a command prompt and navigate to the %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0xxxxx directory.
- Type the aspnet_regiis command to save the RSA key pair in a local file.
aspnet_regiis -px "SviKeyContainer" "keys.xml" -pri
The ASP.NET IIS registration tool exports the RSA public-private key pair from the SviKeyContainer container to the keys.xml file and saves the file locally.
- Copy the keys.xml file to the destination machine on which you want to install the new VMware Horizon View Composer service.
- On the destination machine, open a command prompt and navigate to the %windir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0xxxxx directory.
- Type the aspnet_regiis command to migrate the RSA key pair data.
aspnet_regiis -pi "SviKeyContainer" "path\keys.xml" -exp
where path is the path to the exported file.
The -exp option creates an exportable key pair. If a future migration is required, the keys can be exported from this machine and imported to another machine. If you previously migrated the keys to this machine without using the -exp option, you can import the keys again using the -exp option so that you can export the keys in the future.
The registration tool imports the key pair data into the local key container.
What to do next
Install the new VMware Horizon View Composer service on the destination machine. Provide the DSN and ODBC data source information that allows View Composer to connect to the same database information that was used by the original VMware Horizon View Composer service. For installation instructions, see "Installing View Composer" in the View Installation document.
Complete the steps to migrate View Composer to a new machine and use the same database. See Migrate View Composer with an Existing Database.