To use a Windows Server 2008 R2 virtual machine as a single-session View desktop (rather than as an RDS host), you must perform certain steps before you install View Agent in the virtual machine. You must also configure View Administrator to treat Windows Server 2008 R2 as a supported operating system for View desktop use.
Familiarize yourself with the steps to install the Desktop Experience feature on Windows Server 2008 R2. See Install Desktop Experience on Windows Server 2008 R2.
- Verify that the Remote Desktop Services role is not installed.
When the Remote Desktop Services role is not present, the View Agent installer prompts you to confirm that you want to install View Agent in desktop mode. If the Remote Desktop Services role is present, the View Agent installer does not display this prompt and it treats the Windows Server 2008 R2 machine as an RDS host instead of a single-session View desktop.
- Install Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
If you do not install SP1, an error occurs when you install View Agent.
- (Optional) : Install the Desktop Experience feature if you plan to use the following features.
- (Optional) : To use Windows Aero on a Windows Server 2008 R2 desktop, start the Themes service.
When you create or edit a desktop pool, you can configure 3D graphics rendering for your desktops. The 3D Renderer setting offers a Software option that enables users to run Windows Aero on the desktops in the pool.
- Configure View Administrator to treat Windows Server 2008 R2 as a supported desktop operating system.
If you do not perform this step, you cannot select Windows Server 2008 R2 machines for desktop use in View Administrator.
- In View Administrator, select .
- In the General pane, click Edit.
- Select the Enable Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops check box and click OK.
When you enable Windows Server 2008 R2 desktops in View Administrator, View Administrator displays all available Windows Server 2008 R2 machines, including machines on which View Connection Server is installed, as potential machines for desktop use. You cannot install View Agent on machines on which other View software components are installed.