When you prepare a parent virtual machine for View Composer, you can configure the parent virtual machine and linked clones to store virtual-machine swap files on the local datastore. This optional strategy lets you take advantage of local storage.
About this task
In this procedure, you configure local storage for the virtual-machine swap files, not the paging and temp files in the guest OS. When you create a linked-clone pool, you also can redirect guest OS paging and temp files to a separate disk. See Worksheet for Creating a Linked-Clone Desktop Pool.
Prepare the parent virtual machine to meet the requirements of the View Composer service. See Prepare a Parent Virtual Machine.
- Configure a swapfile datastore on the ESXi host or cluster on which you will deploy the linked-clone pool.
- When you create the parent virtual machine in vCenter Server, store the virtual-machine swap files on the swapfile datastore on the local ESXi host or cluster:
- In vSphere Client, select the parent virtual machine.
- Click Edit Settings and click the Options tab.
- Click Swapfile location and click Store in the host's swapfile datastore.
For detailed instructions, see the VMware vSphere documentation.
When you deploy a pool from this parent virtual machine, the linked clones use the local ESXi host's swapfile datastore.