After you create a virtual machine, you must install a guest operating system.
Verify that an ISO image file of the guest operating system is on a datastore on your ESXi server.
Verify that the CD/DVD drive in the virtual machine points to the ISO image file of the guest operating system and that the CD/DVD drive is configured to connect at power on.
If you are installing Windows XP and you selected the LSI Logic adapter for the virtual machine, download the LSI20320-R controller driver from the LSI Logic Web site, create a floppy image (.flp) file that contains the driver, and upload the file to a datastore on your server.
- In vSphere Client, log in to the vCenter Server system where the virtual machine resides.
- Right-click the virtual machine, select Power, and select Power On to start the virtual machine.
Because you configured the CD/DVD drive to point to the ISO image of the guest operating system and to connect at power on, the guest operating system installation process begins automatically.
- Click the Console tab and follow the installation instructions provided by the operating system vendor.
- If you are installing Windows XP and you selected the LSI Logic adapter for the virtual machine, install the LSI Logic driver during the Windows setup process.
- Press F6 to select additional SCSI drivers.
- Type S to specify an additional device.
- On the vSphere Client toolbar, click Connect Floppy to select the LSI Logic driver floppy image (.flp) file.
- Return to the Windows Setup screen and press Enter to continue the Windows setup process.
- When the Windows setup process has finished, disconnect the virtual floppy disk drive.
- If you are installing Windows 7 or Windows 8, activate Windows online.
What to do next
Prepare the guest operating system for View desktop deployment.