You can perform certain steps to optimize guest operating system performance for remote desktop deployment. The steps apply to all Windows operating systems. All of the steps are optional.
About this task
These recommendations include turning off the screen saver and not specifying a sleep timer. Your organization might require the use of screen savers. For example, you might have a GPO-managed security policy that locks a desktop a certain time after the screen saver starts. In this case, use a blank screen saver.
Prepare a guest operating system for remote desktop deployment.
- Disable any unused ports, such as COM1, COM2, and LPT.
- Adjust display properties.
- Choose a basic theme.
- Set the background to a solid color.
- Set the screen saver to None.
- Verify that hardware acceleration is enabled.
- Select a high-performance power option and do not specify a sleep timer.
- Disable the Indexing Service component.
Indexing improves searches by cataloging files. Do not disable this feature for users who search often.
- Remove or minimize System Restore points.
- Turn off system protection on C:\.
- Disable any unnecessary services.
- Set the sound scheme to No Sounds.
- Set visual effects to Adjust for best performance.
- Open Windows Media Player and use the default settings.
- Turn off automatic computer maintenance.
- Adjust performance settings for best performance.
- Delete any hidden uninstall folders in C:\Windows, such $NtUninstallKB893756$.
- Delete all event logs.
- Run Disk Cleanup to remove temporary files, empty the Recycle Bin, and remove system files and other items that are no longer needed.
- Run Disk Defragmenter to rearrange fragmented data.
- If users are going to play full-screen videos or run 3D applications on desktops that run in a vSphere 5.1 environment, follow the instructions to modify the registry described in Microsoft KB 235257.
The Microsoft KB is titled "Server Does Not Use All Bandwidth Available When Streaming Files with Bit Rates over 100 Kbps" and is located at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/235257. Restart the virtual machine to enable the modified registry setting to take effect.
Without this optimization, brief freezes can occur, or the videos can stutter.Note:
Making this optimization delivers performance improvements in both ESXi 5.x and ESXi 5.1, but it is required for ESXi 5.1.
What to do next
For Windows 7 and Windows 8 guest operating systems, perform additional optimization tasks. See Optimize Windows 7 and Windows 8 Guest Operating System Performance.