Disabling the Windows registry backup feature, RegIdleBackup, can minimize the number of system writes and reduce the growth of linked-clone machines.
- In vSphere Client, select the parent virtual machine and select Open Console.
- Log in to the Windows 7 or Windows 8 guest operating system as an administrator.
- Click .
- Select Task Scheduler and click Open.
- In the left pane, expand Task Scheduler Library, Microsoft, Windows.
- Double-click Registry and select RegIdleBackup.
- In the Actions pane, click Disable.