You can create an automated desktop pool based on a virtual machine template that you select. View dynamically deploys the desktops, creating a new virtual machine in vCenter Server for each desktop.
To create a linked-clone pool, see Linked-Clone Desktop Pools.
- Prepare a virtual machine template that View will use to create the machines. View Agent must be installed on the template. See Creating and Preparing Virtual Machines.
- If you intend to use a customization specification, make sure that the specifications are accurate. In vSphere Client, deploy and customize a virtual machine from your template using the customization specification. Fully test the resulting virtual machine, including DHCP and authentication.
Verify that you have a sufficient number of ports on the ESXi virtual switch that is used for the virtual machines that are used as remote desktops. The default value might not be sufficient if you create large desktop pools. The number of virtual switch ports on the ESXI host must equal or exceed the number of virtual machines multiplied by the number of virtual NICs per virtual machine.
- Gather the configuration information you must provide to create the pool. See Worksheet for Creating an Automated Pool That Contains Full Virtual Machines.
- Decide how to configure power settings, display protocol, Adobe Flash quality, and other settings. See Desktop Pool Settings for All Desktop Pool Types.
- If you intend to provide access to your desktops and applications through Workspace Portal, verify that you create the desktop and application pools as a user who has the Administrators role on the root access group in View Administrator. If you give the user the Administrators role on an access group other than the root access group, Workspace Portal will not recognize the SAML authenticator you configure in View, and you cannot configure the pool in Workspace Portal.
- In View Administrator, select .
- Click Add.
- Select Automated Desktop Pool.
- On the vCenter Server page, choose Full virtual machines.
- Follow the prompts in the wizard to create the pool.
Use the configuration information that you gathered in the worksheet. You can go directly back to any wizard page that you completed by clicking the page name in the navigation panel.
In View Administrator, you can view the machines as they are added to the pool by selecting.
What to do next
Entitle users to access the pool. See Add Entitlements to a Desktop or Application Pool.