You can perform additional steps to optimize Windows 7 and Windows 8 guest operating system performance for remote desktop deployment. All of the steps are optional.
Perform the guest operating system optimization steps that apply to all Windows operating systems. See Optimize Guest Operating System Performance for All Windows Versions.
Familiarize yourself with the procedure for disabling the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program. See Disable the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program.
- Uninstall Tablet PC Components, unless this feature is needed.
- Disable IPv6, unless it is needed.
- Use the File System Utility (fsutil) command to disable the setting that keeps track of the last time a file was accessed.
For example: fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1
- Start the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and change the TimeOutValue REG_DWORD in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Disk to 0x000000be(190).
- Turn off the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program and disable related tasks from the Task Scheduler.
- Shut down the guest operating system and power off the virtual machine.
- Power on the virtual machine.
What to do next
See Optimizing Windows 7 and Windows 8 for Linked-Clone Virtual Machines for information on disabling certain Windows 7 and Windows 8 services and tasks to reduce the growth of View Composer linked-clone virtual machines. Disabling certain services and tasks can also result in performance benefits for full virtual machines.