Before you recompose a linked-clone desktop pool, you must update the parent virtual machine that you used as a base image for the linked clones.
View Composer does not support recomposing linked clones that use one operating system to a parent virtual machine that uses a different operating system. For example, you cannot use a snapshot of a Windows 8 parent virtual machine to recompose a Windows 7 linked clone.
- In vCenter Server, update the parent virtual machine for the recomposition.
- Install OS patches or service packs, new applications, application updates, or make other changes in the parent virtual machine.
- Alternatively, prepare another virtual machine to be selected as the new parent during the recomposition.
- In vCenter Server, power off the updated or new parent virtual machine.
- In vCenter Server, take a snapshot of the parent virtual machine.
What to do next
Recompose the linked-clone desktop pool.