By default, when sending the addresses of desktop machines and RDS hosts to clients and gateways, View Connection Server gives preference to IP addresses. You can change this default behavior with a View LDAP attribute that tells View Connection Server to give preference to DNS names. In certain environments, having View Connection Server return DNS names to clients and gateways can provide additional flexibility in designing a network infrastructure.
About this task
This View LDAP attribute replaces the per-desktop functionality that was provided by the group policy setting, Connect using DNS Name, in Horizon 6.0.x and earlier releases.
The View LDAP attribute affects clients that run Horizon Client 3.3 for Windows or later and secure gateways on View Connection Server instances (not security servers).
See the Microsoft TechNet Web site for information on how to use the ADSI Edit utility on your Windows Server operating system version.
- Start the ADSI Edit utility on your View Connection Server computer.
- In the console tree, select Connect to.
- In the Select or type a Distinguished Name or Naming Context text box, type the distinguished name DC=vdi, DC=vmware, DC=int.
- In the Select or type a domain or server text box, select or type localhost:389 or the fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of the View Connection Server computer followed by port 389.
For example: localhost:389 or mycomputer.mydomain.com:389
- On the object CN=Common, OU=Global, OU=Properties, set the pae-PreferDNS attribute value to 1.
When this attribute is set to 1, View Connection Server returns a DNS name, if a DNS name is available and the recipient supports name resolution. Otherwise, View Connection Server returns an IP address, if an IP address of the correct type for your environment (IPv4 or IPv6) is available.
When this attribute is not set or is set to 0, View Connection Server returns an IP address, if an IP address of the correct type is available. Otherwise, an IP address compatibility error is returned.