After you complete the initial configuration of View Connection Server, you should schedule regular backups of your View and View Composer configuration data. You can preserve your View and View Composer data by using View Administrator.
View stores View Connection Server configuration data in the View LDAP repository. View Composer stores configuration data for linked-clone desktops in the View Composer database.
When you use View Administrator to perform backups, View backs up the View LDAP configuration data and View Composer database. Both sets of backup files are stored in the same location. The View LDAP data is exported in encrypted LDAP data interchange format (LDIF). For a description of View LDAP, see View LDAP Directory.
You can perform backups in several ways.
- Schedule automatic backups by using the View configuration backup feature.
- Initiate a backup immediately by using the Backup Now feature in View Administrator.
- Manually export View LDAP data by using the vdmexport utility. This utility is provided with each instance of View Connection Server.
The vdmexport utility can export View LDAP data as encrypted LDIF data, plain text, or plain text with passwords and other sensitive data removed.Note: The vdmexport tool backs up the View LDAP data only. This tool does not back up View Composer database information.
For more information about vdmexport, see Export Configuration Data from View Connection Server.
The following guidelines apply to backing up View configuration data:
- View can export configuration data from any View Connection Server instance.
- If you have multiple View Connection Server instances in a replicated group, you only need to export the data from one instance. All replicated instances contain the same configuration data.
- Do not rely on using replicated instances of View Connection Server to act as your backup mechanism. When View synchronizes data in replicated instances of View Connection Server, any data lost in one instance might be lost in all members of the group.
- If View Connection Server uses multiple vCenter Server instances with multiple View Composer services, View backs up all the View Composer databases associated with the vCenter Server instances.