You can use the silent installation feature of the Microsoft Windows Installer (MSI) to install View Agent on several Windows virtual machines or physical computers. In a silent installation, you use the command line and do not have to respond to wizard prompts.
With silent installation, you can efficiently deploy View components in a large enterprise.
If you do not want to install all features that are installed automatically or by default, you can use the ADDLOCAL MSI property to selectively install individual setup options and features. For details about the ADDLOCAL property, see Table 2.
- Prepare the guest operating system for desktop deployment. See Prepare a Guest Operating System for Remote Desktop Deployment.
- To use Windows Server as a single-session remote desktop (rather than as an RDS host), perform the steps described in Prepare Windows Server Operating Systems for Desktop Use.
- If the machine has the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package installed, verify that the version of the package is 2005 SP1 or later. If the package version is 2005 or earlier, you can either upgrade or uninstall the package.
- Download the View Agent installer file from the VMware product page at http://www.vmware.com/go/downloadview.
The installer filename is VMware-viewagent-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe or VMware-viewagent-x86_64-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe, where y.y.y is the version number and xxxxxx is the build number.
- Verify that you have administrative rights on the virtual machine or physical PC.
- Familiarize yourself with the View Agent custom setup options. See View Agent Custom Setup Options.
- If you select the View Composer Agent custom setup option, verify that you have a license to use View Composer.
- Familiarize yourself with the MSI installer command-line options. See Microsoft Windows Installer Command-Line Options.
- Familiarize yourself with the silent installation properties available with View Agent. See Silent Installation Properties for View Agent.
- Familiarize yourself with the TCP ports that the View Agent installation program opens on the firewall. See the View Architecture Planning document for more information.
- Verify that the latest Windows Update patches are installed on the guest operating systems on which you plan to install View Agent silently. In certain cases, an interactive installation by an administrator might be required to execute pending Windows Update patches. Verify that all OS operations and subsequent reboots are completed.
- Open a Windows command prompt on the virtual machine or physical PC.
- Type the installation command on one line.
This example installs View Agent in a virtual machine that is managed by vCenter Server. The installer configures the View Composer Agent, Virtual Printing, USB redirection, HTML Access, and Real-Time Audio-Video custom setup options and the non-optional features that are installed automatically.
VMware-viewagent-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe /s /v"/qn VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=1 ADDLOCAL=Core,SVIAgent,ThinPrint,USB,HtmlAccess,RTAV"This example installs View Agent on an unmanaged computer and registers the desktop with the specified View Connection Server, cs1.companydomain.com. The installer configures the Virtual Printing and USB redirection custom setup options and the non-optional features that are installed automatically.
VMware-viewagent-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe /s /v"/qn VDM_VC_MANAGED_AGENT=0 VDM_SERVER_NAME=cs1.companydomain.com VDM_SERVER_USERNAME=admin.companydomain.com VDM_SERVER_PASSWORD=secret ADDLOCAL=Core,ThinPrint,USB"If you install View Agent on a Windows Server machine, and you intend to configure the machine as a single-user View desktop rather than as an RDS host, you must include the VDM_FORCE_DESKTOP_AGENT=1 property in the installation command. This requirement applies to machines that are managed by vCenter Server and unmanaged machines.
The VMware View Agent service is started on the virtual machine.
If you selected the View Composer Agent option, the VMware View Composer Guest Agent Server service is started on the virtual machine.
What to do next
If the virtual machine has multiple NICs, configure the subnet that View Agent uses. See Configure a Virtual Machine with Multiple NICs for View Agent.