To use View Persona Management, you must enable the Manage user persona group policy setting, which activates the View Persona Management software. To set up a user profile repository without using an Active Directory user profile path, you must configure the Persona repository location group policy setting.
You can configure the optional group policy settings to configure other aspects of your View Persona Management deployment.
If Windows roaming profiles are already configured in your deployment, you can use an existing Active Directory user profile path. You can leave the Persona repository location setting disabled or not configured.
- Familiarize yourself with the Manage user persona and Persona repository location group policy settings. See Roaming and Synchronization Group Policy Settings.
- If you are setting group policies on a local system, familiarize yourself with opening the Group Policy window. See steps Step 1 and Step 1 in Add the Persona Management ADM Template to a Single System.
- If you are setting group policies on your Active Directory server, familiarize yourself with starting the Group Policy Object Editor. See steps Step 1 through Step 1 in Add the Persona Management ADM Template to Active Directory.
- Open the Group Policy window.
Option Description Local system Open the Local Computer Policy window. Active Directory server Open the Group Policy Object Editor window.
- Expand the Computer Configuration folder and navigate to the Persona Management folder.
Option Description Windows 7 and later or Windows Server 2008 and later Expand the following folders: Administrative Templates, Classic Administrative Templates (ADM), VMware View Agent Configuration, Persona Management Windows Server 2003 Expand the following folders: Administrative Templates, VMware View Agent Configuration, Persona Management
- Open the Roaming & Synchronization folder.
- Double-click Manage user persona and click Enabled.
This setting activates View Persona Management. When this setting is disabled or not configured, View Persona Management does not function.
- Type the profile upload interval, in minutes, and click OK.
The profile upload interval determines how often View Persona Management copies user profile changes to the remote repository. The default upload interval is 10 minutes.
- Double-click Persona repository location and click Enabled.
If you have an existing Windows roaming profiles deployment, you can use an Active Directory user profile path for the remote profile repository. You do not have to configure a Persona repository location.
- Type the UNC path to a network file server share that stores the user profiles.
For example: \\server.domain.com\UserProfilesRepository\%username%The network share must be accessible to the virtual machines in your deployment.
If you intend to use an Active Directory user profile path, you do not have to specify a UNC path.
- If an Active Directory user profile path is configured in your deployment, determine whether to use or override this path.
Option Action Use the network share. Check the Override Active Directory user profile path if it is configured check box. Use an Active Directory user profile path, if one exists. Do not check the Override Active Directory user profile path if it is configured check box.
- Click OK.
- (Optional) Configure other View Persona Management group policy settings.