With this feature, users can redirect locally connected, serial (COM) ports, such as built-in RS232 ports or USB to Serial adapters, to their remote desktops. To support serial port redirection, your View deployment must meet certain software and hardware requirements.
- View remote desktop
The remote desktops must have View Agent 6.1.1 or later installed with the Serial Port Redirection setup option, on the parent or template virtual machines. This setup option is deselected by default.
The following guest operating systems are supported on single-user virtual machines:
- 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7
- 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8.x
- 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10
- Windows Server 2008 R2 configured as a desktop
- Windows Server 2012 R2 configured as a desktop
This feature is not currently supported for Windows Server RDS hosts.
Serial port device drivers do not have to be installed on the desktop operating system where View Agent is installed.
- Horizon Client computer or client access device
- The client system must have Horizon Client for Windows 3.4 or later installed.
- Serial port redirection is supported on 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 client systems, 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8.x client systems, and 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10 client systems.
- Any required serial port device drivers must be installed, and the serial port must be operable, on the client computer. You do not need to install the device drivers on the remote desktop operating system where View Agent is installed.
- Display protocol for View
VMware Horizon serial port redirection is not supported in RDP desktop sessions.