Disabling the Windows Diagnostic Policy Service can minimize the number of system writes and reduce the growth of linked-clone machines.
Do no disable the Windows Diagnostic Policy Service if your users require the diagnostic tools on their desktops.
The following steps apply to Windows 7 and Windows 8. The steps might vary on different Windows operating systems.
- In vSphere Client, select the parent virtual machine and select Open Console.
- Log in to the Windows guest operating system as an administrator.
- Click .
- Select Services and click Open.
- Double-click Diagnostic Policy Service.
- In the Diagnostic Policy Service Properties (Local Computer) dialog, click Stop.
- In the Startup type menu, select Disabled.
- Click OK.