If a user has never connected to a desktop on an RDS host, and the user launches an application that is hosted on the RDS host, the Windows basic theme is not applied to the application even if a GPO setting is configured to load the Aero-styled theme. View does not support the Aero-styled theme but supports the Windows basic theme. To make the Windows basic theme apply to the application, you must configure another GPO setting.
- Verify that the Group Policy Management feature is available on your Active Directory server.
The steps for opening the Group Policy Management Console differ in the Windows 2012, Windows 2008, and Windows 2003 Active Directory versions. See Create GPOs for View Group Policies.
- On the Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Console.
- Expand your domain and Group Policy Objects.
- Right-click the GPO that you created for the group policy settings and select Edit.
- In the Group Policy Management Editor, navigate to .
- Enable the setting Force a specific visual style file or force Windows classic and set the Path to Visual Style as %windir%\resources\Themes\Aero\aero.msstyles.