You must download and install the VIB for your NVIDIA GRID graphics card on the ESXi 6.0 U1 or later host.
About this task
NVIDIA provides a VMware vSphere ESXi Driver for vSGA. For vSGA, an NVIDIA display driver is not installed on the Linux virtual machine.
Verify that vSphere 6.0 U1 or a later release is installed in your environment.
Verify that NVIDIA driver is installed in your environment.
Verify that the NVIDIA GRID K1 or K2 GPUs are installed on the ESXi host.
- Download the VIB for your NVIDIA GRID vGPU graphics card from the NVIDIA Driver Downloads site.
Select the appropriate VIB version from the drop-down menus.
Select GRID Series.
Select the version (such as GRID K2) that is installed on the ESXi host.
Select the VMware vSphere ESXi version.
- Upload the VMware vSphere ESXi Driver for vSGA to the ESXi 6.0 U1 host.
- Power off or suspend all virtual machines on the ESXi host.
- Connect to the ESXi host using SSH.
- Stop the xorg service.
# /etc/init.d/xorg stop
- Install the NVIDIA VIB.
# esxcli system maintenanceMode set --enable true # esxcli software vib install -v /path-to-vib/NVIDIA-VIB-name.vib # esxcli system maintenanceMode set --enable false
- Restart xorg, which is used for GPU assignment:
# /etc/init.d/xorg start
- Reboot the ESXi host.
- Verify that the xorg service is running after the host is restarted.