You must install Horizon Agent on virtual machines that are managed by vCenter Server so that Connection Server can communicate with them. Install Horizon Agent on all virtual machines that you use as templates for full-clone desktop pools, parents for linked-clone desktop pools, parents for instant-clone desktop pools, and machines in manual desktop pools.
To install Horizon Agent on multiple Windows virtual machines without having to respond to wizard prompts, you can install Horizon Agent silently. See Install Horizon Agent Silently.
The Horizon Agent software cannot coexist on the same virtual or physical machine with other Horizon software components, including security server, Connection Server, and View Composer. It can coexist with Horizon Client.
- Prepare the guest operating system for remote desktop deployment. See Prepare a Guest Operating System for Remote Desktop Deployment.
- To use a Windows Server virtual machine as a remote desktop (rather than as an RDS host), perform the steps described in Prepare Windows Server Operating Systems for Desktop Use.
- If the machine has the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package installed, verify that the version of the package is 2005 SP1 or later. If the package version is 2005 or earlier, you can either upgrade or uninstall the package.
- Download the Horizon Agent installer file from the VMware product page at http://www.vmware.com/go/downloadview.
- Verify that you have administrative rights on the virtual machine.
- Familiarize yourself with the Horizon Agent custom setup options. See Horizon Agent Custom Setup Options.
- Familiarize yourself with the TCP ports that the Horizon Agent installation program opens on the firewall. See the View Architecture Planning document for more information.
- To start the Horizon Agent installation program, double-click the installer file.
The installer filename is VMware-viewagent-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe or VMware-viewagent-x86_64-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe, where y.y.y is the version number and xxxxxx is the build number.
- Accept the VMware license terms.
- If you install Horizon Agent on a Windows Server machine on which the Remote Desktop Services (RDS) role is not installed, select Install VMware Horizon Agent in 'desktop mode'.
Selecting this option configures the Windows Server machine as a single-user View desktop rather than as an RDS host. If you intend the machine to function as an RDS host, cancel the Horizon Agent installation, install the RDS role on the machine, and restart the Horizon Agent installation.
- Select the Internet Protocol (IP) version, IPv4 or IPv6.
You must install all View components with the same IP version.
- Select whether to enable or disable FIPS mode.
This option is available only if FIPS mode is enabled in Windows.
- Select your custom setup options.
To deploy View Composer linked-clone desktops, select the VMware Horizon View Composer Agent option. To deploy instant-clone desktops, select the VMware Horizon Instant Clone Agent option. You cannot select both of these options.
- Accept or change the destination folder.
- Follow the prompts in the Horizon Agent installation program and finish the installation.
Note: If you did not enable Remote Desktop support during guest operating system preparation, the Horizon Agent installation program prompts you to enable it. If you do not enable Remote Desktop support during Horizon Agent installation, you must enable it manually after the installation is finished.
- If you selected the USB redirection option, restart the virtual machine to enable USB support.
In addition, the Found New Hardware wizard might start. Follow the prompts in the wizard to configure the hardware before you restart the virtual machine.
What to do next
If the virtual machine has multiple NICs, configure the subnet that Horizon Agent uses. See Configure a Virtual Machine with Multiple NICs for Horizon Agent.