You must install Horizon Agent on an all unmanaged machines. View cannot manage an unmanaged machine unless Horizon Agent is installed.
To install Horizon Agent on multiple Windows physical computers without having to respond to wizard prompts, you can install Horizon Agent silently. See Install Horizon Agent Silently.
- Verify that you have administrative rights on the unmanaged machine.
- To use an unmanaged Windows Server machine as a remote desktop rather than as an RDS host, perform the steps described in Prepare Windows Server Operating Systems for Desktop Use.
- Familiarize yourself with the Horizon Agent custom setup options for unmanaged machines. See Horizon Agent Custom Setup Options for Unmanaged Machines.
- Familiarize yourself with the TCP ports that the Horizon Agent installation program opens on the firewall. See the View Architecture Planning document for more information.
- If the machine has the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package installed, verify that the version of the package is 2005 SP1 or later. If the package version is 2005 or earlier, you can either upgrade or uninstall the package.
- Download the Horizon Agent installer file from the VMware product page at http://www.vmware.com/go/downloadview.
- To start the Horizon Agent installation program, double-click the installer file.
The installer filename is VMware-viewagent-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe or VMware-viewagent-x86_64-y.y.y-xxxxxx.exe, where y.y.y is the version number and xxxxxx is the build number.
- Accept the VMware license terms.
- Select the Internet Protocol (IP) version, IPv4 or IPv6.
You must install all View components with the same IP version.
- Select whether to enable or disable FIPS mode.
This option is available only if FIPS mode is enabled in Windows.
- Select your custom setup options.
- Accept or change the destination folder.
- In the Server text box, type the host name or IP address of a View Connection Server host.
During installation, the installer registers the unmanaged machine with this View Connection Server instance. After registration, the specified View Connection Server instance, and any additional instances in the same View Connection Server group, can communicate with the unmanaged machine.
- Select an authentication method to register the unmanaged machine with the View Connection Server instance.
Option Action Authenticate as the currently logged in user The Username and Password text boxes are disabled and you are logged in to the View Connection Server instance with your current username and password. Specify administrator credentials You must provide the username and password of a View Connection Server administrator in the Username and Password text boxes.Provide the username in the following format: Domain\User.
The user account must be a domain user with access to View LDAP on the View Connection Server instance. A local user does not work.
- Follow the prompts in the Horizon Agent installation program and finish the installation.
- If you selected the USB redirection option, restart the unmanaged machine to enable USB support.
In addition, the Found New Hardware wizard might start. Follow the prompts in the wizard to configure the hardware before you restart the unmanaged machine.
The VMware Horizon Horizon Agent service is started on the unmanaged machine.
What to do next
Use the unmanaged machine to create a remote desktop. See Manual Desktop Pools.