You must install Horizon Agent on a Linux virtual machine before you can deploy the machine as a remote desktop.
With Horizon 7.0.1 release, Horizon Agent for Linux uses vCenter managed virtual machines. The managed virtual machines provide the following enhancements.
- vCenter is a mandatory requirement for Linux desktop deployment.
- Horizon Agent installation on Linux does not require registration.
- For a large number of Linux desktop deployment, you can install the Horizon Agent on the base virtual machine.
For 2D graphics configuration, you can install Horizon Agent after you complete the steps in Prepare a Linux Machine for Remote Desktop Deployment.
- Verify that the Linux guest operating system is prepared for desktop use. See Prepare a Linux Machine for Remote Desktop Deployment.
- Familiarize yourself with the Horizon Agent installer script for Linux. See install_viewagent.sh Command Line Options.
- Download the Horizon Agent for Linux installer file from the VMware download site at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads.
Under Desktop & End-User Computing, select the VMware Horizon 7 download, which includes the Horizon Agent for Linux installer.
The installer filename is VMware-horizonagent-linux-x86_64-y.y.y-xxxxxxx.tar.gz for 64-bit Linux where y.y.y is the version number and xxxxxxx is the build number.
- Unpack the tarball for your Linux distribution on the guest operating system.
tar -xzvf <View Agent tar ball>
- Navigate to the tar ball folder.
- Run the install_viewagent.sh script as superuser.
See install_viewagent.sh Command Line Options for a list of the command line options.For example:
- Type Yes to accept the EULA if you run install_viewagent.sh without specifying the -A option.
The installer does not run unless you accept the EULA.
- Reboot Linux for the changes to take effect.
What to do next
Deploy the virtual machine in a desktop pool. See Create a Manual Desktop Pool for Linux.