You can add the policy settings for specific remote desktop features in the ADM template file (.adm) to group policy objects (GPOs) in Active Directory and configure the settings in the Group Policy Object Editor.
Verify that the setup option for the remote desktop feature you are applying the policy for is installed on your desktops and RDS hosts. The group policy settings have no effect if the remote desktop feature is not installed. See your Setting Up document for information on installing Horizon Agent.
Verify the name of the ADM template file that you want to add to Active Directory. See Horizon 7 ADMX and ADM Template Files.
Create GPOs for the remote desktop features that you want to apply the group policy settings to and link them to the OU that contains your RDS hosts. See Active Directory Group Policy Example.
Verify that the MMC and the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in are available on your Active Directory server.
Familiarize yourself with the remote desktop feature that you want to apply policy settings for.
In Horizon 7 version 7.1, the ADM template files are deprecated and the ADMX template files are added.
- Download the Horizon 7 GPO Bundle .zip file from the VMware download site at https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/downloads.
Under Desktop & End-User Computing, select the VMware Horizon 7 download, which includes the GPO Bundle.
The file is named VMware-Horizon-Extras-Bundle-x.x.x-yyyyyyy.zip, where x.x.x is the version and yyyyyyy is the build number. All ADMX files that provide group policy settings for Horizon 7 are available in this file.
- Unzip the VMware-Horizon-View-Extras-Bundle-x.x.x-yyyyyyy.zip file and copy the ADM file (.adm), to your Active Directory server.
For example, copy the scanner redirection ADM file (vdm_agent_scanner.adm), to your Active Directory server.
- On the Active Directory server, edit the GPO by selecting Edit. , right-clicking the GPO, and selecting
- In the Group Policy Object Editor, right-click the Add/Remove Templates. folder and select
- Click Add, browse to the (.adm) file, and click Open.
For example, browse to the vdm_agent_scanner.adm file.
- Click Close to apply the policy settings in the ADM file to the GPO.
Most settings are located in thefolder.
Most settings are also added to the User Configuration folder, located in folder.
For example, the scanner redirection group policy settings are located in thefolder.
- Configure the remote desktop group policy settings.