To use the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection feature with the Chrome browser, you must force install the VMware Horizon HTML5 Redirection extension on the remote desktop. You force install the extension by configuring a Google Chrome group policy setting on your Active Directory server.
To apply the Chrome group policy setting to the remote desktop, you must add the ADMX template file to a GPO on your Active Directory server. For a virtual desktop, the GPO must be linked to the OU that contains the virtual desktop. For a published desktop, the GPO must be linked to the OU that contains the RDS host.
- Configure the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection feature. See Install and Configure HTML5 Multimedia Redirection.
- Verify that you can log in as an Administrator domain user on the machine that hosts your Active Directory server.
- Verify that the MMC and the Group Policy Object Editor snap-in are available on your Active Directory server.
- Download the Google Chrome policy_templates.zip file from https://dl.google.com/dl/edgedl/chrome/policy/policy_templates.zip.
- Unzip the policy_templates.zip file and copy the chrome.admx and chrome.adml files to your Active Directory Server.
The chrome.admx file is in the \windows\admx folder and the chrome.adml file is in the \windows\admx\language folder in the policy_templates.zip file.
- Copy the chrome.admx file to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions folder on your Active Directory server.
- Copy the chrome.adml language resource file to the appropriate language subfolder in %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions on your Active Directory server.
For example, copy the en_us version of the chrome.adml file to the %systemroot%\PolicyDefinitions\en_us subfolder on your Active Directory server.
- On your Active Directory server, open the Group Policy Management Editor and navigate to the folder.
- Open the Configure the list of force-installed apps and extensions policy setting and click Enabled.
- Click Show and type ljmaegmnepbgjekghdfkgegbckolmcok;https://clients2.google.com/service/update2/crx in the Value column.
- Click OK to save the extension ID/update URL and then click OK to save the policy setting.
- Verify that the HTML5 Multimedia Redirection extension is installed on the remote desktop.
- Connect to the remote desktop and start Chrome.
- Type chrome://extensions in the Chrome address bar.
VMware Horizon HTML5 Redirection Extension appears in the Extensions list.