If you upgrade vCenter Server to use vSphere 6.7, you must also upgrade the instant-clone desktop pools.
- Complete the system requirements for an upgrade to Horizon 7 version 7.5 or later.
- Complete procedures described in Upgrading Horizon Connection Server.
- Complete the procedure described in Upgrade View Agent or Horizon Agent for upgrading the agent in the parent VM.
- Complete the prerequisites listed in the VMware vSphere Upgrade Guide, using the version of the guide that corresponds to the version of vSphere that you plan to upgrade to.
Note: If you upgrade vCenter Server to vSphere 6.7, then all or some of the ESXi hosts in the cluster must be upgraded to vSphere 6.7. Else, the instant-clone desktop pools will not be provisioned properly.
- Identify the ESXi hosts that you plan to upgrade and verify that you leave enough hosts online for existing desktop pools.
- Take a snapshot of the parent VM on which you upgrade Horizon Agent to Horizon 7 version 7.5 or later. This snapshot is the master image for instant clones.
- Set the Storage Distributed Resource Scheduler (DRS) migration threshold to 3 in the cluster.
- Disable the instant-clone desktop pools.
- Upgrade vCenter Server to vSphere 6.7.
- To put the hosts that you plan to upgrade into maintenance mode, choose one of the following options.
Note: You must upgrade at least one host so that you can resume the provisioning of desktop pools. Then you must upgrade all the other hosts.
- Put the host directly into maintenance mode from vSphere Web Client then upgrade the host to vSphere 6.7. After the upgrade completes, use vSphere Web Client to exit maintenance mode.
- Use the icmaint.cmd utility to mark a host for maintenance with the ON option. Marking a host for maintenance deletes the master images, which are the parent VMs in vCenter Server from the ESXi host. Put the host into maintenance mode and upgrade to vSphere 6.7 ESXi. After the upgrade completes, exit the host from maintenance mode. Then, use the icmaint.cmd to unmark the host for maintenance with the OFF option.
- Enable the instant-clone desktop pools.
- Perform a push-image operation for each instant-clone desktop pool that uses the new snapshot.
Only the hosts that are upgraded to vSphere 6.7 ESXi are used for provisioning. The instant clones created during the push-image operation might be migrated to other hosts that are not yet on vSphere 6.7.
- Verify that all hosts in the cluster are upgraded to vSphere 6.7.
- If you upgrade the parent VM from a previous version to be compatible with ESXi 6.7 and later (VM version 14), then upgrade VMware Tools on the parent VM. You must take a new snapshot of the parent VM, which is the master image for instant clones and perform a push-image operation on all the instant-clone desktop pools that used the previous version of this master image.
- If the Virtual Distributed Switch (vDS) is upgraded, power on the parent VM on to verify that there are no network issues. Following a vDS upgrade, you must take a new snapshot of the parent VM and perform a push-image operation on all the instant-clone desktop pools.