To use the Session Collaboration feature on a RHEL 8.x desktop, you must first download and install the GNOME 3.28.26 shell extension.
- Download the required GNOME shell extension to the RHEL 8.x system from https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/615/appindicator-support/. For the shell version, select 3.28. For the extension version, select 26.
- Untar the downloaded package and rename the directory as firstname.lastname@example.org (the "uuid" value in the metadata.json file in the package).
- Use the mv command to move the email@example.com directory to this location: /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions.
By default, the metadata.json file in the firstname.lastname@example.org directory is only readable to the root user. To support Session Collaboration, you must make this file readable to other users as well.
- Run the command to make metadata.json readable to other users, as shown in the following example.
chmod a+r metadata.json
- Install gnome-tweaks.
- In the desktop environment, restart GNOME shell by pressing the following sequence of keys on the keyboard.
Alt+F2 r Enter
- In the desktop environment, run gnome-tweaks and then enable KStatusNotifierItem/AppIndicator Support.