To set up a Horizon desktop deployment or standalone computers with Horizon Persona Management, you must perform several high-level tasks.
This sequence is recommended, although you can perform these tasks in a different sequence. For example, you can configure or reconfigure group policy settings in Active Directory after you deploy desktop pools.
- Configure a remote repository to store user profiles.
You can configure a network share or use an existing Active Directory user profile path that you configured for Windows roaming profiles.
- Install Horizon Agent with the VMware Horizon 7 Persona Management setup option on the virtual machines that you use to create desktop pools.
To configure Horizon Persona Management for non-Horizon laptops, desktops, or virtual machines, install the standalone Horizon Persona Management software on each computer in your targeted deployment.
- Add the Horizon Persona Management ADMX Template file to your Active Directory server or the Local Computer Policy configuration on the golden image virtual machine.
To configure Horizon Persona Management for your whole Horizon or non-Horizon deployment, add the ADMX Template file to Active Directory.
To configure Horizon Persona Management for one desktop pool, you can take these approaches:
- Add the ADMX Template file to the virtual machine that you use to create the pool.
- Add the ADMX Template file to Active Directory and apply the group policy settings to the OU that contains the machines in the pool.
- Enable Horizon Persona Management by enabling the Manage user persona group policy setting.
- If you configured a network share for the remote profile repository, enable the Persona repository location group policy setting and specify the network share path.
- (Optional) Configure other group policy settings in Active Directory or the Local Computer Policy configuration.
- Create desktop pools from the virtual machines on which you installed Horizon Agent with the VMware Horizon 7 Persona Management setup option.