In a dedicated-assignment pool, you can assign a user or multiple users to the virtual machine that hosts a remote desktop. Only the assigned user can log in and connect to the remote desktop. If a user is connected to session on a remote desktop, another user entitled to use the virtual machine cannot log in and connect to the remote desktop till the previous user logs off from the remote desktop.
Horizon Console assigns machines to users in these situations.
- When you create a dedicated-assignment desktop pool and select the Enable automatic assignment setting, Horizon Console automatically assigns machines to users.
Note: If you select the Enable automatic assignment setting, you can still manually assign machines to users.
- When you create an automated pool, select the Specify names manually setting, and provide user names with the machine names, Horizon Console automatically assigns machines to users.
- When you create a dedicated-assignment desktop pool and select the Enable Multi-User Assignment setting, you can manually assign multiple machines to users.
If you do not select either setting in a dedicated-assignment pool, users do not have access to virtual desktops. You must manually assign a machine to each user.
You can also use the vdmadmin command to assign machines to users. For more information about the vdmadmin command, see the VMware Horizon Console Administration guide.
- Verify that the virtual machine belongs to a dedicated-assignment pool. In Horizon Console, the desktop pool assignment appears in the User Assignment column on the Desktop Pools page.
- In Horizon Console, select , click a pool ID, and click the Machines tab.
- Select the machine.
- Select Assign User(s) from the More Commands drop-down menu.
- Click Add and choose to select a domain, and type a search string in the Name or Description text box.
- Select the user or users and click Submit.