The final phase of a View upgrade includes upgrading to the latest version of Horizon Client and upgrading the firmware on thin client devices if you use them.
The Local Mode feature for Horizon Client has been removed. In its place, VMware recommends using Mirage, which is included with VMware Horizon 7. For more information, see the View Release Notes, available at https://www.vmware.com/support/pubs/view_pubs.html.
- Complete the procedures for upgrading the server components, which can include View Connection Server and View Composer. See Upgrading View Server Components.
- Verify that you have a domain user account with administrative privileges on the hosts that you will use to run the installer and perform the upgrade.
- Verify that the client desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone meets the operating system requirements and hardware requirements of Horizon Client. See the "Using Horizon Client" document for the specific type of desktop or mobile client device. Go to https://www.vmware.com/support/viewclients/doc/viewclients_pubs.html.
- Have end users upgrade to the latest version of Horizon Client.
Option Action Horizon Client Download and send the Horizon Client installers to your end users or post them on a Web site and ask end users to download the installer and run it. You can download the installers or have your end users download them from the VMware Web site at https://www.vmware.com/go/viewclients.
For mobile clients, you can alternatively instruct your end users to get the latest version of Horizon Client from other Web sites that sell apps, including the Apple App Store, Google Play, Amazon, and Windows Store.
VMware Horizon user Web portal End users can open a browser and browse to a View Connection Server instance. The Web page that appears is called the VMware Horizon user Web portal, and it contains links for downloading the installer file for Horizon Client.Note: The default links in Web page point to the Horizon Client download site. You can change the default links to point elsewhere. See Configure the VMware Horizon Web Portal Page for End Users. Thin client Upgrade the thin client firmware and install the new Horizon Client software on end users' client devices. Thin clients and zero clients are provided by VMware partners.
- Have end users verify that they can log in and connect to their remote desktops.