With the Flash Redirection feature, Flash content is sent to the client system and played in a Flash container window using the Flash Player ActiveX version.
Although the name of this feature is similar to the feature called Flash URL Redirection, there are important differences, as described in the following table.
|Item of Differentiation||Flash Redirection||Flash URL Redirection|
|Support level||A Tech Preview feature in Horizon 7.0 with no technical support. Fully supported in Horizon 7.0.1.||Fully supported|
|Horizon Client types that support this feature||Windows client only||Windows client and Linux client|
|Display protocol||In Horizon 7.0, PCoIP only. In Horizon 7.0.1, PCoIP and VMware Blast.||PCoIP|
|Browsers||Internet Explorer 9, 10, or 11 for the agent (remote desktop)||All browsers that are currently supported on Horizon Client and Horizon Agent|
The Flash Redirection feature has the following limitations:
- Clicking a URL link inside the Flash Player window opens a browser on the client rather than in the remote desktop (agent side).
- Some Web sites do not work with Flash Redirection on some browser versions. For example, the vimeo.com Web site does not work if you use Internet Explorer 11.
- In Horizon 7.0, Flash and Java scripting might not work as expected.
- The Horizon Client window might freeze while playing Flash content, although you can set a Windows Registry key to work around this issue.
On a 32-bit client, set HKLM\Software\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client\EnableD3DRenderer value to "FALSE" and on a 64-bit client, set HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\VMware, Inc.\VMware VDM\Client\EnableD3DRenderer to "FALSE".
- For the YouTube Web site, external interface is disabled by default to avoid playback issues. Therefore, the following functionalities do not work: Autoplay, the Next and Previous buttons, and Theater mode. To enable Flash media for the latest update of the YouTube Web site, you must remove youtube.com from the Compatibility View Settings and manually append
&nohtml5=1to the URL for the video. For example,
- You cannot click on recommended videos on the YouTube site unless you set
appMode=1as a Windows registry key on the remote desktop.
- If there is no audio device on the client, errors will happen when playing YouTube Flash media.
- Flash Redirection does not work for redbox.com.
- The Flash context menu (activated by a right click) is disabled.
- If a version 4.1 of Horizon Client connects to a Horizon 7.0 desktop with PCoIP, Flash Redirection will fail. The Flash content is either played by the desktop's native player or the user will see a white screen.