With this feature, users can redirect locally connected, serial (COM) ports, such as built-in RS232 ports or USB to Serial adapters, to their remote desktops. To support serial port redirection, your Horizon deployment must meet certain software and hardware requirements.
- Remote desktops
The remote desktops must have View Agent 6.1.1 or later, or Horizon Agent 7.0 or later, installed with the Serial Port Redirection setup option, on the parent or template virtual machines. This setup option is deselected by default.
The following guest operating systems are supported on single-session virtual machines:
- 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7
- 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 8.x
- 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10
- Windows Server 2008 R2 configured as a desktop
- Windows Server 2012 R2 configured as a desktop
- Windows Server 2016 configured as a desktop
This feature is not currently supported for Windows Server RDS hosts.
Serial port device drivers do not have to be installed on the desktop operating system where the agent is installed.
- Horizon Client computer or client access device
- Serial port redirection is supported on Windows 7, Windows 8.x client systems, and Windows 10.
- Any required serial port device drivers must be installed, and the serial port must be operable, on the client computer. You do not need to install the device drivers on the remote desktop operating system where the agent is installed.
- Display protocols
- VMware Blast (requires Horizon Agent 7.0 or later)
VMware Horizon serial port redirection is not supported in RDP desktop sessions.