You can provision an automated desktop pool by manually specifying a list of machine names. This naming method lets you use your company's naming conventions to identify the machines in a pool.
About this task
When you explicitly specify machine names, users can see familiar names based on their company's organization when they log in to their remote desktops.
Follow these guidelines for manually specifying machine names:
Type each machine name on a separate line.
A machine name can have up to 15 alphanumeric characters.
You can add a user name to each machine entry. Use a comma to separate the user name from the machine name.
In this example, two machines are specified. The second machine is associated with a user:
In a floating-assignment pool, you cannot associate user names with machine names. The machines are not dedicated to the associated users. In a floating-assignment pool, all machines that are not currently in use remain accessible to any user who logs in.
Make sure that each machine name is unique. You cannot use the names of existing virtual machines in vCenter Server.
- Create a text file that contains the list of machine names.
If you intend to create a desktop pool with only a few machines, you can type the machine names directly in the Add Desktop Pool wizard. You do not have to create a separate text file.
- In View Administrator start the Add Desktop Pool wizard to begin creating an automated desktop pool.
- On the Provisioning Settings page, select Specify names manually and click Enter names.
- Copy your list of machine names in the Enter Machine Names page and click Next.
The Enter Machine Names wizard displays the desktop list and indicates validation errors with a red !.
- Correct invalid machine names.
- Place your cursor over an invalid name to display the related error message at the bottom of the page.
- Click Back.
- Edit the incorrect names and click Next.
- Click Finish.
- (Optional) : Select Start machines in maintenance mode.
This option lets you customize the machines before users can log in and use them.
- Follow the prompts in the wizard to finish creating the desktop pool.
View creates a machine for each name in the list. When an entry includes a machine and user name, View assigns the machine to that user.
After the desktop pool is created, you can add machines by importing another list file that contains additional machine names and users. See "Add Machines to an Automated Pool Provisioned by a List of Names" in the View Administration document.