The ThinApp configuration example takes you step-by-step through a typical ThinApp configuration, beginning with capturing and packaging applications and ending with checking the status of an installation.
See these topics for complete information about how to perform the steps in this example.
- Download the ThinApp software from http://www.vmware.com/products/thinapp and install it on a clean computer.
Horizon 7 supports ThinApp version 4.6 and later.
- Use the ThinApp Setup Capture wizard to capture and package your applications in MSI format.
- Create a shared folder on a computer in an Active Directory domain that it accessible to both your Connection Server host and your remote desktops and configure the file and sharing permissions on the shared folder to give Read access to the built-in Active Directory group Domain Computers.
If you plan to assign ThinApp applications to domain controllers, also give Read access to the built-in Active Directory group Domain Controllers.
- Copy your MSI packages to the shared folder.
- Register the shared folder as an application repository in Horizon Administrator.
- In Horizon Administrator, scan the MSI packages in the application repository and add selected ThinApp applications to Horizon Administrator.
- Decide whether to assign the ThinApp applications to machines or desktop pools.
If you use a common naming convention for your machines, you can use machine assignments to quickly distribute applications to all of the machines that use that naming convention. If you organize your desktop pools by department or user type, you can use desktop pool assignments to quickly distribute applications to specific departments or users.
- In Horizon Administrator, select the ThinApp applications to assign to your machines or desktop pools and specify the installation method.
Installs a shortcut to the application on the machine. The shortcut points to the application on the network share that hosts the repository. Users must have access to the network share to run the application.
Installs the full application on the machine's local file system.
- In Horizon Administrator, check the installation status of the ThinApp applications.