For RDS desktops and applications, and for VDI desktops that are deployed on single-user virtual machines that run Windows Server, scanner redirection requires that you install the Desktop Experience feature on the RDS hosts and the single-user virtual machines.
Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016 are supported on machines that are used as RDS hosts. Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016 is supported on single-user virtual machines.
A Windows Server 2016 installation with the Desktop Experience option, installs the standard user interface and all tools, including the client experience and the desktop experience features. For Windows Server 2012 RS, the client experience and desktop experience features require a separate installation. For Windows Server 2016 installation, select Windows Server 2016 or Windows Server (Server with Desktop Experience). If you do not make a choice in the Setup wizard, Windows Server 2016 is installed as the Server Core installation option. You cannot switch between the installation options. If you install Windows Server (Server with Desktop Experience), and later decide to use Windows Server 2016, you must perform a fresh installation of Windows Server 2016.
- Log in as an administrator.
- Start Server Manager.
- Select Add roles and features.
- On the Select Installation Type page, select Role-based or feature-based installation.
- On the Select Destination Server page, select a server.
- On the Select Server Roles page, accept the default selection and click Next.
- On the Select Features page, under User Interfaces and Infrastructure, select Desktop Experience.
- Follow the prompts and finish the installation.