Before you can use the JMP Integrated Workflow features, you must install and configure JMP Server.
The JMP Server installer file is included when you download VMware Horizon 7 version 7.5 or later. You must run the JMP Server installer separately after you successfully install Horizon 7 version 7.5 or later.
- Confirm that you have met the system requirements for the components that are required to install JMP Server. See System Requirements For JMP Server.
- To run the JMP Server installer on a Windows Server host, you must use a domain user account with administrative privileges on that host system.
- Ensure that the SQL Server database that your JMP Server instance must use has been created on a remote system and that you have the appropriate access to it. See Create a SQL Server Database for JMP Server.
- Verify that the SQL Server logins and permissions have been configured for the JMP Server host and Windows domain user account that you plan to use to install JMP Server. See Create a SQL Server Login for the JMP Server Host.
- Gather the information for the secure or insecure HTTP port, UI port, and signed certificates to be used with the JMP Integrated Workflow features.
- Obtain a TLS certificate signed by a Certificate Authority and use it to replace the default TLS certificate installed by the JMP Server installer.
Before you install JMP Server, use the following table to determine the type of installation to use.
Installation Type Action Taken by JMP Server Installer Production Environment Generates a JMP Server instance that uses SQL Server Standard or Enterprise edition. Development or Proof of Concept (PoC) Environment Generates a JMP Server instance that uses SQL Server Express.
- Add the following files to the McAfee Antivirus exclusion list before you install JMP Server.
- C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\JMP\nssm-2.24\nssm-2.24\win32\nssm.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\JMP\com\xmp\node_modules\winser\bin\nssm.exe
- To start the VMWare JMP Installer wizard, locate and double-click the JMP Server installer file.
The JMP Server installer filename is VMware-Jmp-Installer-e.x.p-xxxxxxx.exe,where xxxxxxx is the build number. For example, VMware-Jmp-Installer-e.x.p-7259616.exe.Note: If you want to log the installation process, run the JMP Server installer from a command prompt using the following command, where Log_Folder_Path is the folder where the log file is to be created.
- Click Next in the Welcome page and accept the VMware license terms.
- To allow HTTPS traffic, click Next.
Note: JMP Server takes up port 443 and, optionally, ports 80, 3000–3004, 888, and 8889. To allow HTTP traffic over port 80, select the Allow HTTP? check box.
- Provide the SQL Server instance and database catalog information.
- Enter the IP Address or the name of the SQL Server instance for connecting to the database you created for JMP Server. Optionally, click Browse to make the selection.
- Select which authentication credentials you want to use to connect to the SQL Server database.
Option Description Windows authentication credentials of current user The administrator credentials you are using during this installation process is used to connect to the SQL Server database instance. Server authentication using the Login ID and password below Provide the Login ID and Password information to use to connect to the SQL Server database instance.Note: The login credentials you use must already be configured in the SQL Server instance that JMP Server is going to access. See Create a SQL Server Login for the JMP Server Host.
- In the Name of database catalog text box, enter the name of the database you created using Create a SQL Server Database for JMP Server. Optionally, click Browse and select the database catalog from the available list.
The selected database catalog is used to store information about the JMP Server services.
- (Optional) If you want to overwrite the existing database, select the Overwrite existing database check box.
Note: The first time the JMP Server installer is run, the necessary database tables are created. If you run the installer again to create more JMP Server instances for load balancing, the installer finds that the database already exists and does not recreate the tables. Selecting this option overwrites the existing information in the database.
- To ensure a secure communication between JMP Server and the SQL Server instance, verify that the Enable SSL check box is selected. The Enable SSL check box is selected by default.
Important: When the Enable SSL check box is selected, ensure that the TLS/SSL certificate used in SQL Server is imported into the Windows local certificate store on the JMP Server host. Otherwise, the JMP Server installation process fails with the error "Failed to execute uem_migrate.bat file" and when you click OK in the error dialog box, installation is rolled back.
See the "Enable encryption for a specific client" section in the Microsoft TechNet article How to enable SSL encryption for an instance of SQL Server by using Microsoft Management Console for details on exporting and importing the SQL Server's TLS/SSL certificate.
- Click Next.
- In the Ready to Install Program page, click Install.
- Click Finish when the installation finishes successfully.
- VMware JMP API Service
- VMware JMP File Share Service
- VMware JMP Platform Services
What to do next
Synchronize the time between the newly installed JMP Server instance and its associated Horizon Connection Server. See Synchronize Time Between Horizon Connection Server and JMP Server Hosts.