You can restore configuration data of a Connection Server instance by importing a backup copy of the data stored in an LDIF file.
You use the vdmimport command to import the data from the LDIF file to the View LDAP repository in the Connection Server instance.
If you backed up your View LDAP configuration by using Horizon Administrator or the default vdmexport command, the exported LDIF file is encrypted. You must decrypt the LDIF file before you can import it.
For information about backing up the View LDAP repository, see Backing Up Horizon Connection Server and View Composer Data.
- Locate the vdmimport command executable file installed with Connection Server in the default path.
C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware View\Server\tools\bin
- Log in to a Connection Server instance as a user with the Administrators role.
- Verify that you know the data recovery password. If a password reminder was configured, you can display the reminder by running the vdmimport command without the password option.
- Stop all instances of View Composer by stopping the Windows service VMware Horizon View Composer on the servers where View Composer runs.
- Stop all security server instances by stopping the Windows service VMware Horizon Security Server on all security servers.
- Uninstall all instances of Horizon Connection Server.
Uninstall both VMware Horizon Connection Server and AD LDS Instance VMwareVDMDS.
- Install one instance of Connection Server.
- Stop the Connection Server instance by stopping the Windows service VMware Horizon Connection Server.
- Click .
- Decrypt the encrypted LDIF file.
At the command prompt, type the vdmimport command. Specify the -d option, the -p option with the data recovery password, and the -f option with an existing encrypted LDIF file followed by a name for the decrypted LDIF file. For example:
vdmimport -d -p mypassword -f MyEncryptedexport.LDF > MyDecryptedexport.LDFIf you do not remember your data recovery password, type the command without the -p option. The utility displays the password reminder and prompts you to enter the password.
- Import the decrypted LDIF file to restore the View LDAP configuration.
Specify the -f option with the decrypted LDIF file. For example:
vdmimport -f MyDecryptedexport.LDF
- Uninstall Connection Server.
Uninstall only the package VMware Horizon Connection Server.
- Reinstall Connection Server.
- Log in to Horizon Administrator and validate that the configuration is correct.
- Start the View Composer instances.
- Reinstall the replica server instances.
- Start the security server instances.
If there is a risk that the security servers have inconsistent configuration, they should also be uninstalled rather than stopped and then reinstalled at the end of the process.
The vdmimport command updates the View LDAP repository in Connection Server with the configuration data from the LDIF file. For more information about the vdmimport command, see the Horizon 7 Installation document.