For RDS desktops and applications, and for VDI desktops that are deployed on single-user virtual machines that run Windows Server, scanner redirection requires that you install the Desktop Experience feature on the RDS hosts and the single-user virtual machines.
Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016 are supported on machines that are used as RDS hosts. Windows Server 2012 R2, and Windows Server 2016 is supported on single-user virtual machines.
- Log in as an administrator.
- Start Server Manager.
- Select Add roles and features.
- On the Select Installation Type page, select Role-based or feature-based installation.
- On the Select Destination Server page, select a server.
- On the Select Server Roles page, accept the default selection and click Next.
- On the Select Features page, under User Interfaces and Infrastructure, select Desktop Experience.
- Follow the prompts and finish the installation.