You can create an automated desktop pool based on a virtual machine template that you select. Horizon 7 dynamically deploys the desktops, creating a new virtual machine in vCenter Server for each desktop.
- Prepare a virtual machine template that Horizon 7 will use to create the machines. Horizon 7 must be installed on the template. See Creating and Preparing a Virtual Machine for Cloning.
- If you intend to use a customization specification, make sure that the specifications are accurate. In vSphere Client, deploy and customize a virtual machine from your template using the customization specification. Fully test the resulting virtual machine, including DHCP and authentication.
Verify that you have a sufficient number of ports on the ESXi virtual switch that is used for the virtual machines that are used as remote desktops. The default value might not be sufficient if you create large desktop pools. The number of virtual switch ports on the ESXi host must equal or exceed the number of virtual machines multiplied by the number of virtual NICs per virtual machine.
- Gather the configuration information you must provide to create the pool. See Worksheet for Creating an Automated Pool That Contains Full Virtual Machines.
- Decide how to configure power settings, display protocol, and other settings. See Desktop Pool Settings for All Desktop Pool Types.
- If you intend to provide access to your desktops and applications through VMware Identity Manager, verify that you create the desktop and application pools as a user who has the Administrators role on the root access group in Horizon Administrator. If you give the user the Administrators role on an access group other than the root access group, VMware Identity Manager will not recognize the SAML authenticator you configure in Horizon 7, and you cannot configure the pool in VMware Identity Manager.
- In Horizon Administrator, select .
- Click Add.
- Select Automated Desktop Pool.
- On the vCenter Server page, choose Full virtual machines.
- Follow the prompts in the wizard to create the pool.
Use the configuration information that you gathered in the worksheet. You can go directly back to any wizard page that you completed by clicking the page name in the navigation panel.
In Horizon Administrator, you can view the machines as they are added to the pool by selecting.
What to do next
Entitle users to access the pool. See Add Entitlements to a Desktop or Application Pool.