With the USB redirection feature, you can use locally attached USB devices, such as thumb flash drives, in a remote desktop or published application.
When you use the USB redirection feature, most USB devices that are attached to the client device become available from a menu in Horizon Client. You use this menu to connect and disconnect the USB devices.
For information about USB device requirements and limitations for USB redirection, see "Using USB Devices with Remote Desktops and Applications" in the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon document.
- To redirect USB devices to a remote desktop or published application, a Horizon administrator must enable the USB redirection feature.
This task includes installing the USB Redirection component of Horizon Agent, and can include setting policies regarding USB redirection. For more information, see the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon document.
- Verify that the USB over Session Enhancement SDK feature is enabled on the remote desktop. For information, see "Enabling the USB Over Session Enhancement SDK Feature" in the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon document.
- Become familiar with USB Redirection Limitations.
- Connect to the server.
- Tap the Switch Protocol icon in the upper-right corner of the desktop and application selector window and tap VMware Blast.
You must use the VMware Blast protocol to use the USB redirection feature.
- Connect to the remote desktop or published application.
- Open Settings and tap USB redirection.
The available USB devices appear in the USB redirection list. If no USB devices are available, No suitable devices available appears.
- If you are connected to the remote desktop or published application in full-screen mode, tap the Horizon Client Tools radial menu icon and tap the gear icon.
- If you are not using full-screen mode, tap Settings in the menu in the upper-right corner of the Horizon Client toolbar.
- Select the check box next to the USB device that you want to redirect to the remote desktop or published application.
A system dialog prompts you to give Horizon Client access to the USB device.
- To give Horizon Client access to the USB device, click OK.
You can give Horizon Client access to the USB device by default by selecting the Use by default for this USB device check box. The permission to access the device remains valid only until the device is disconnected.
The redirected USB device appears in the remote desktop or published application. A USB device might take up to 20 seconds to appear in a remote desktop or published application.