Horizon Client for Android 4.5 | 08 June 2017
Last Updated: 09 June 2017
These release notes cover the following topics:
VMware Horizon Client for Android makes it easy to access a Windows-based remote desktop or application from your Android tablet or phone with the best possible user experience on the Local Area Network (LAN) or across a Wide Area Network (WAN).
- Work the way you want to - Use your Android tablet or phone to use a Windows-based remote desktop or application from any location. Support for the PCoIP display protocol and the VMware Blast display protocol from VMware means your remote desktop or application is fast and responsive regardless of where you are.
- Best of both worlds - For the mobile device world, Horizon Client supports native Android gestures for quick and easy navigation around a remote desktop or application. For the Windows world, the full-screen touchpad feature lets you touch anywhere on the screen to move the mouse pointer around the Windows-based remote desktop or application. Bridging both worlds, the Unity Touch sidebar makes it easy to browse, search, open, and close Windows applications and files, minimize windows, and switch between running applications, all without using the Windows Start menu or Taskbar.
- Simple connectivity - Horizon Client for Android is tightly integrated with VMware Horizon 6 and VMware Horizon 7 for simple setup and connectivity. Quickly reconnect to a remote desktop or application by selecting it from the Recent tab.
- Unmatched performance - The adaptive capabilities of the PCoIP display protocol and the VMware Blast display protocol mean your remote desktop or application is fast and responsive regardless of whether you are connecting over your corporate WiFi network or from your 3G, 4G, or LTE connected Android tablet or phone.
- Secure from any location - At your desk or away from the office, your data is always secure. And with RSA soft token integration, you need enter only your RSA PIN into Horizon Client when RSA authentication is required. No need for an RSA hardware token or RSA software token utility. Horizon Client also supports RADIUS authentication.
Note: You can use remote applications only if you are connected to a VMware Horizon 6.0 with View or later server.
- Unauthenticated access to remote applications
A Horizon 7 version 7.1 or later administrator can create Unauthenticated Access users and entitle the users to remote applications. Unauthenticated Access users can log in to the server anonymously from Horizon Client for Android and connect to their remote applications. For information about creating Unauthenticated Access users, see the View Administration document.
- Samsung DeX support
On Samsung Galaxy S8/S8+ Android phones, Horizon Client for Android can run in DeX mode and provide an immersive remote desktop and application experience. You can configure Horizon Client for Android to start automatically when you dock your phone into the DeX station.
- Better display quality in remote desktops and applications
You can use the High Quality mode feature to obtain the best display quality in remote desktops and applications.
- Improved audio with VMware Blast
Audio playback when using the VMware Blast display protocol has been improved.
- Support for Workspace ONE Mode
Beginning with Horizon 7 version 7.2, a Horizon administrator can enable Workspace ONE mode for a Connection Server instance. If you connect to a Workspace ONE mode enabled server in Horizon Client for Android, you are redirected to the Workspace ONE portal to launch your entitled desktops and applications.
For Horizon Client for Android, both the user interface and the documentation are available in English, Japanese, French, German, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, Korean, and Spanish.
- Horizon Client for Android requires the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich or later operating system.
- Horizon Client for Android is supported with the latest maintenance release of Horizon View 6.x and later releases.
- When you install Horizon Client for Android, you are prompted to let the app read phone status and identity. This prompt relates to the RSA soft token integration feature. The prompt is requesting permission to read the state of the phone. This permission does not allow the app to make a phone call or send a message. You can safely grant this permission.
- Install and upgrade Horizon Client for Android just as you do any other Android app. For example, you can get the latest version of the app from Google Play or the Amazon Appstore for Android. For a link to the Horizon Client app in one of these stores, go to the Horizon Client Downloads page.
- For system requirements and installation instructions, see Using VMware Horizon Client for Android.
The Unity Touch sidebar cannot show changes in the All Programs menu for new software that you install during that same session.
Workaround: To see items for new software that you recently installed, disconnect from the desktop and then connect again.
- The Shift key in the top row of the onscreen keyboard or in the navigation keys is for entering key combinations, such as Ctrl+Shift. If you need to capitalize a letter or type an exclamation point (!) or question mark (?) or other symbol that you create by using the Shift key, use the up arrow as you would in the standard onscreen keyboard.
Because an Android device does not have a persistent ID, the device's MAC address is used to generate an ID for the license. If a device's MAC address cannot be detected, its SIM is used instead. If neither the MAC address nor SIM can be detected, a random ID is generated for the device. In certain circumstances, this process can result in multiple licenses being issued to the same device.
Workaround: An administrator can remove the inactive licenses.
If multiple Horizon clients connect to the same RDS desktop or remote application simultaneously and map to a location-based printer with the same name, the printer appears in the first client session, but not in later client sessions.
Workaround: For the client sessions in which the printer does not appear, perform a manual refresh. For a remote desktop, press F5 or refresh the Devices and Printers window. For a remote application, close and reopen the application print dialog box. The location-based printer appears in the printer list.
USB devices cannot be redirected with the client drive redirection feature on certain Android devices, including Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9, Nexus 7 (2nd Gen), and Dell Venue 8.
Workaround: None. This is a third-party issue.
On certain Android devices, when you use the client drive redirection feature to copy, rename, or create files on a redirected external SD card, you receive the error You need permission to perform this action. This problem occurs if the Android device prevents third-party apps from getting automatic permission to put files on an external SD card.
On some Android devices, certain keys introduce white spaces when you connect to a remote desktop and input text with Horizon Client.
Workaround: Turn off predictive text for the keyboard in the Android Settings app.
If you use an Android 7.0 Nougat device to reconnect to an RDS host that is connected to a per-device license server, Horizon Client generates another client ID after user data is cleared.
If you launch a remote application and then change the resolution (either by rotating your device or manually changing the preference setting), residual application windows can remain on your screen after you drag the application window to a different location.
- In certain circumstances, opening a local file with File > Open in a remote desktop or remote application causes the guest operating system on the Horizon Agent machine to encounter a STOP error (blue screen) or to stop responding (hang) when client drive redirection (CDR) is used. For more information, see VMware Knowledge Base (KB) article 2149417: Agent machine gets STOP error or stops responding when you open a local file shared with CDR.
When you use the VMware Blast display protocol to connect to a remote desktop or application with a non-English input method, you might not be able to enter certain symbols.
Workaround: Use the local input buffer, or connect to the remote desktop or application with the PCoIP display protocol.
When High Quality Mode is enabled and you run certain remote applications (such as Notepad), the icon of the remote application does not appear in the Unity Touch sidebar and a default image appears instead. This problem occurs only with Horizon Agent 7.1 and earlier.