You can download and run a Horizon Client installer bundle from the VMware Downloads page. This installer contains modules for features such as USB redirection, virtual printing, Real-Time Audio-Video, smart card, and client drive redirection.
- Verify that the client system runs a supported operating system. See System Requirements for Linux Client Systems.
- Become familiar with the installation options. See Installation Options.
- Verify that you have root access on the host system.
- Verify that VMware Workstation is not installed on the client system.
- If you plan to use the RDP display protocol to connect to a View desktop, verify that you have the appropriate RDP client installed. See System Requirements for Linux Client Systems.
- Uninstall any earlier version of the Horizon Client software. See Uninstall Horizon Client for Linux.
- If you plan to use the command-line installer, become familiar with the Linux command-line installation options. See Command-Line Installation Options for the Linux Client.
- On SUSE Linux distributions, run sudo zypper install python-curses to install the curses library.
- In a python2 environment on Ubuntu 16.04 x64 distributions, run sudo apt-get install python-gtk2 to install the gtk2 library.
As part of the installation process, the installer runs a scan of the system libraries to determine whether the system is compatible with Horizon Client, although you can select to skip the scan.
- On the Linux client system, download the Horizon Client installer file from the Horizon Client Product Downloads page at http://www.vmware.com/go/viewclients.
The name of the file is VMware-Horizon-Client-x.x.x-yyyyyyy.arch.bundle, where x.x.x is the version number, yyyyyyy is the build number, and arch is either x86 or x64.
- Open a Terminal window, change directories to the directory that contains the installer file, and run the installer, using the appropriate command.
Option Command For the GUI wizard, if you have set executable permissions
For the GUI wizard, if you have not set executable permissions
sudo sh ./VMware-Horizon-Client-x.x.x-yyyyyyy.arch.bundle
For the command-line installer
sudo ./VMware-Horizon-Client-x.x.x-yyyyyyy.arch.bundle --consoleThe installer wizard appears, prompting you to accept the end user license agreement.
- Follow the prompts to finish the installation.
Important: You are prompted to allow the installer to register and start installed services after the installation. Allowing the installer to complete these tasks means that you will not need to manually start USB redirection services every time you reboot, and you will not need to manually enable the virtual printing feature.
- After installation is complete, specify whether to perform the compatibility scan for libraries that various feature components are dependent on.
The system scan displays a result value for each library compatibility.
Result Value Description Success All needed libraries were found. Failed The specified library was not found.
Log information about the installation is recorded in /tmp/vmware-root/vmware-installer-pid.log.
What to do next
Start Horizon Client and verify that you can log in to the correct virtual desktop. See Connect to a Remote Desktop or Application.