With multimedia redirection (MMR), the multimedia stream is decoded on the client system. The client system plays the media content so that the load on the ESXi host is reduced.
- Remote desktops
- Virtual desktops must have View Agent 6.2.x or later, or Horizon Agent 7.0 or later, installed.
- Published desktops must have View Agent 6.2.x or later, or Horizon Agent 7.0 or later, installed on the RDS host.
- For information about operating system requirements and other software requirements and configuration settings, see the topics about Windows Media Multimedia Redirection in the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon 7 document.
- Horizon Client computer or client access device
Because MMR offloads media processing from the server to the client, the client has the following minimum hardware requirements.
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon dual-core Processor speed: 1.5 GHz for common case, or 1.8 GHz for Full HD Memory: 2 GB RAM Video adapter: Hardware accelerated
You must install one of the following libraries to avoid video playback issues:
- GStreamer core library and gstreamer-ffmpeg 0.10
- GStreamer core library and fluendo 0.10
On Dell Wyse thin clients, video playback might not work with the pre-installed fluendo library. To resolve the problem, contact Dell support to obtain the latest fluendo library.
- Supported media formats
- Media formats that Windows Media Player supports, for example: M4V; MOV; MP4; WMP; MPEG-4 Part 2; WMV 7, 8, and 9; WMA; AVI; ACE; MP3; WAV.
- Horizon 7 7.9 supports MMS and RTSP.
Note: DRM-protected content is not redirected through Windows Media MMR.
- GStreamer Framework
Set up the GStreamer environment such that the framework is composed of the graphics card, hardware acceleration API, and GStreamer plug-in that allow GStreamer to function properly. Table 1 lists the different possible setup combinations. To ensure the best possible environment, set up your GStreamer environment using the information in Table 1 for the NVIDIA and Intel graphic cards.
Table 1. GStreamer Framework Setup Graphics Card (including Driver) Hardware Accelerator API GStreamer Plug-in NVIDIA VDPAU (libvdpau.so) vdpau Intel VAAPI (libvaapi.so) gstreamer-vaapi -- OpenMax gst-omx -- DCE gstreamer-ducati AMD OVD/UVD Unavailable
To get more detailed information, see https://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/documentation/tutorials/playback/hardware-accelerated-video-decoding.html.
MMR is not enabled by default. To enable it, you must set the configuration option view.enableMMR. For more information, see Horizon Client Configuration Settings and Command-Line Options.