With the URL Content Redirection feature, URL content can be redirected from the client machine to a remote desktop or published application (client-to-agent redirection), or from a remote desktop or published application to the client machine (agent-to-client redirection).
For example, an end user can click a link in the native Microsoft Word application on the client and the link opens in the remote Internet Explorer application, or an end user can click a link in the remote Internet Explorer application and the link opens in a native browser on the client machine. Any number of protocols can be configured for redirection, including HTTP, mailto, and callto.
- Web browsers
You can type or click a URL in the following browsers and have that URL redirected.
- Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11
- 64-bit or 32-bit Chrome 60.0.3112.101, Official Build or later
- URL Content Redirection does not work for links clicked from inside Windows 10 universal apps, including the Microsoft Edge Browser.
- Client system
- To use URL Content Redirection with the Chrome browser, you must enable the VMware Horizon URL Content Redirection Helper extension for Chrome. This extension is installed, but is not enabled, when you connect to a Connection Server instance on which URL Content Redirection rules are configured. To enable the extension, restart Chrome after you connect to the Connection Server instance and click Enable Extension when Chrome prompts you to enable the extension.
- The first time a URL is redirected from the Chrome browser, you are prompted to open the URL in Horizon Client. You must click Open VMware Horizon Client for URL content redirection to occur. If you select the Remember my choice for VMware Horizon Client links check box, this prompt does not appear again.
- Remote desktop or published application
- A Horizon administrator must enable URL Content Redirection when Horizon Agent is installed. For information, see the Setting Up Virtual Desktops in Horizon and Setting Up Published Desktops and Applications in Horizon documents.
- To use URL Content Redirection with the Chrome browser, a Horizon administrator must install and enable the VMware Horizon URL Content Redirection Helper extension on the Windows agent machine. For information, see the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon document.
A Horizon administrator must also configure settings that specify how Horizon Client redirects URL content from the client to a remote desktop or published application, or how Horizon Agent redirects URL content from a remote desktop or published application to the client. For complete information, see the "Configuring URL Content Redirection" topic in the Configuring Remote Desktop Features in Horizon document.